Montara Ltd. (MONTARA) and all of its subsidiaries aim is to protect your privacy. In this privacy statement, you can read which personal data MONTARA collects from you and how it is processed. This privacy statement applies to personal data that is processed when you visit the MONTARA websites in the European Union such as the community website, when you purchase or use the products or services offered by MONTARA, when you subscribe to newsletters, when you contact customer support etc. This includes, without limitation, all online and offline collections of all types of personal data.
MONTARA uses the personal data you share with us to further improve our products and services and your experience. This privacy statement is intended to provide you with a clear overview of how MONTARA uses the personal data you provide, your rights and possibilities to manage your personal data and how MONTARA protects your privacy. It also states which personal data MONTARA collects when you visit its websites, stores or use its (mobile) apps and software products, as well as how MONTARA uses your personal data and with which third parties this data is shared. In this privacy statement, you can also find out for what purposes your personal data can be used by MONTARA or its associated companies.
MONTARA reserves the right to make changes to this privacy statement, for example due to legislative changes. The most recent version can always be found on this page.
MONTARA is based at Ballycurreen, Cork, Ireland. For all correspondence concerning privacy-related matters, please contact the Data Protection Office of MONTARA by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This privacy statement has been updated on June 28 2023.
MONTARA as controller
With regards to the websites of MONTARA and to any other interaction with its customers or viewers, MONTARA acts as a data controller, and thus determines the purpose and means for the processing of personal data, and the provisions of this privacy statement apply, except where specifically mentioned otherwise. If reference is made in the following to MONTARA, this also means its subsidiaries. These subsidiaries of MONTARA are responsible for the processing of your personal data if you use the services of that company.
Introduction and scope of this privacy statement
MONTARA uses the personal data you share with us to improve our products and services (such as customer care) and to offer you an optimal experience. By means of this privacy statement MONTARA provides you with insight into how it uses and protects your personal data and offers you the possibility to manage your personal data yourself. Insight is given into what personal data is collected about you when you visit our websites or make use of our services and products, apps and applications, and with which third parties MONTARA shares your personal data. MONTARA uses your personal data for the purposes described below.
Personal data collected about you
The term “personal data” as used in this privacy statement covers all information about an identified or identifiable natural person, in particular by means of an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or one or more elements that are characteristic for the physical, physiological, genetic, psychological, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person. MONTARA collects various types of personal data including the following (if applicable).
Use of services
In the unlikely situation that you need to contact the service channels of MONTARA, via the online portal, social media, call centre or by means of registration as a user to the community website, you may be asked to share personalized information, for example:
- Contact and/or login information, such as name, user ID, personal password, phone number and e-mail address;
- Home address;
- Proof of purchase, to validate warranty entitlement;
- Details of conversations that you may have with the customer care department;
- Model and serial number, software version and/or Mac address;
- Access to your device via screen-sharing and/or live virtual applications in order to be able to provide you better customer care services.
The purpose to collect this information is to provide the best service experience to you, to resolve consumer and/or product issues, to improve our products and customer services, to develop products and create campaigns that are designed around the consumers, to allow MONTARA to keep the consumers informed of, or involve the consumers in testing of new products and services and to help us conduct market research and satisfaction measurements.
Automatically collected information
MONTARA also collects personal data through the use of its websites and apps, for example:
Websites: data about your visit and surfing behaviour. When you visit one of the MONTARA websites, data is sent from your browser to its servers. Thus, MONTARA collects personal data such as:
- your IP address;
- date, time and duration of the visit;
- the referral URL (the site where the visitor came from);
- the pages visited on our website;
- and information about the device and browser (such as browser type and version, operating system, etc.)
- Location data: If you use a service on a mobile device where your location is enabled, we will give you a prior notice for permission to collect and process your current location data, for example via GPS signals sent by a mobile device. You can usually disable the sending of your location via the settings of your device. We always inform you when we use location data.
Sources of information
Most of the personal data that MONTARA collects about you is information that you provided voluntarily, for example through our websites (by asking us product- or service-related questions, by participating in a promotion, game or competition or in a social media activity related to a MONTARA promotion, by voluntarily participating in product testing or surveys, etc.), services (such as through our customer care representatives by email, chat, the community website, social media, phone or in writing) or products (when creating a community account or subscribe to newsletters on a Smart TV). Other sources through which your personal data are obtained:
MONTARA will provide you with a copy of the personal data processed in this context, upon request.
Use of your personal data
The personal data that MONTARA collects, for example when you register for a MONTARA website, are used for identification and authentication. MONTARA creates a profile for you with the information required to provide you with products or services. These can also be combined with personal data obtained through other internal and external sources. This personal data can be used for the following purposes:
- Improvement of products and customer services: your personal data is processed to create a profile of you with the aim of understanding how you use our products and services, enabling MONTARA to develop better and more relevant products and services and to improve the website(s). Processing in this way is necessary for the legitimate interest of MONTARA to offer better products and services to you and other customers.
- Providing customer service: in case of contact with customer service, personal data is processed, for example your order data and contact history, in order to process your request and provide service. The legality of this processing lies in the necessity of processing for the execution of a contract with a company of MONTARA or if we have to comply with a legal obligation. If there is no necessity on the basis of any of these grounds, processing is deemed necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interest of MONTARA to ensure that the best possible service is provided.
3. Marketing: If you register for newsletters, use the websites, purchase online products or services or provide feedback on this, a profile of you is created. Processing in this way is necessary for the legitimate interest of MONTARA to generate proper files about you. Your profile will be created in accordance with your preferences to provide you with a good personalized experience, to send you personalized marketing messages and newsletters and for surveys. The way in which your personal data is used for these purposes is described below.
- Direct Marketing relating to MONTARA products or services – If you expressly consent to receiving promotional communication about MONTARA products such as TELEFUNKEN branded products, we will process your personal data in order to send you direct marketing communication via email, social media direct messaging, in-app notification, etc.
- Direct Marketing relating to TELEFUNKEN products or services – If you expressly consent to receiving promotional communication about MONTARA products, we transfer your contact details, product information, source ID/campaign ID and opt-in data to MONTARA, who processes your personal data in order to send you direct marketing communication via email, social media direct messaging, in-app notification, etc.
- Direct Marketing/Transactional Communication about MONTARA products that you own – If you are already a consumer of MONTARA and have purchased a MONTARA product/service, MONTARA will process your personal data in order to send you communication regarding extended warranty, new features, apps, software upgrades and accessories related to the products that you already own. MONTARA relies on its legitimate interest to send you such communication, subject to your right to object at any time.
- Retargeting: MONTARA websites and apps can use techniques for retargeting, with the aim of showing visitors, who were already interested in the products and/or services, advertisements on partner websites. As far as retargeting takes place, this is done on the basis of your explicit consent.
- Advertisements: MONTARA collaborates with external partners, such as SSPs and DSPs that use tracking techniques to place advertisements on behalf of MONTARA on the internet. These partners collect personal information about your visits to websites or apps of MONTARA and your interaction in relation to, for example, advertisements. They will only collect this data insofar as you have given permission for the placing of cookies for marketing purposes. See also the cookie statement.
- Quality of data, profiling: if your personal data has been obtained through various sources, this data will be merged in certain cases to improve your understanding of your products and services (for example, data that you have provided directly, can be combined with data which are collected automatically, such as metadata, IP addresses, browser data, information obtained lawfully from third parties, and the like). This can be used to send you more personalized marketing messages or to create more effective marketing campaigns. Processing in this way is necessary for the legitimate interest of MONTARA to ensure that you receive the most appropriate offers of its products and to personalize your experience. You can opt out of combining personal data with the information obtained from other sources by contacting MONTARA.
- Analyses: your personal data is used to perform analyses and investigations. Processing in this way is necessary for the legitimate interest of MONTARA to better understand customers and to ensure that services meet the needs of its customers. This concerns analyses, in which data (such as personal data and/or sensitive data obtained through the use of a MONTARA app or browsing history) are combined and stored to:
a) learn more about customers and preferences;
b) identify patterns and trends;
c) to be able to deliver data, content and offers that are tailored to customer needs;
d) for general research and statistical purposes;
e) develop new products and services;
f) to monitor the performance of products and services and / or to improve the use of used technology;
g) to show you online advertisements.
- Analysis of MONTARA itself: by anonymizing your personal data and merging with other personal data of customers, analysing the sales, supply chain and finances, determining how MONTARA performs and where improvements can be made. Processing of personal data in this way is necessary for the legitimate interest of MONTARA to measure how it performs and to determine how to improve it.
MONTARA will ask you for permission if it wishes to use your personal data for purposes other than those stated in this privacy statement. MONTARA will not use your personal data for other purposes before such permission is received.
Providing personal data?
MONTARA treats your personal information carefully and confidentially and does not share it with others other than those listed below.
With service providers
Personal data, which you provide when in contact with customer service channels (for example your name, e-mail address, phone number, address, proof of purchase, details of conversations that you may have with the customer care department) with service providers, such as contact centre or repair centres. Personal data, which you provide when you register with MONTARA (your name, e-mail address, password and date of birth), can be shared by MONTARA with suppliers of cloud services, so that you can log in quickly and anywhere. If necessary, your personal data will also be shared with third parties who process your personal data on behalf of MONTARA solely for the purposes and on the legitimate grounds described above. These can be third parties in the areas of hosting, transport, payment and fraud management, credit rating agencies and analysis platforms. Strict agreements have been reached with these third parties regarding the processing of your personal data, including the exclusive use of your personal data in accordance with the instructions of MONTARA and the law.
- Consumer Care Satisfaction Survey – In the event you have received consumer care or support services from us regarding branded products of MONTARA, it is in the legitimate interest of MONTARA (unless consent is required under applicable law), to assess your satisfaction with the service that you received. This enables us to measure the performance of our consumer care service providers and support centres, and ensure that we provide you the best standards of service in line with our brand promise. In order to do so, we will send you, either via email or another suitable channel, a request to complete a consumer care satisfaction survey. MONTARA will process your personal data for the purposes of sending you the survey, as well as collecting and processing your responses to the survey. MONTARA is responsible for the collection of your personal data and MONTARA is responsible for executing the survey and collecting, processing and transferring the survey results.
- Direct Marketing relating to MONTARA products – If you provide your consent to receiving direct marketing communication about MONTARA products through any MONTARA channel (e.g. at the time of purchase of a product, registration of a product, newsletter registration, consumer care/email chat forms, support community, smart TV, etc.), MONTARA will share the relevant personal data with MONTARA, in order to permit MONTARA to send you promotional communications via email, SMS, social media, in app notifications etc.), regarding MONTARA products. This includes MONTARA branded products as well as other MONTARA products. Please note that the processing of your personal data by MONTARA for the purpose of direct marketing is under the independent controllership of MONTARA and will be solely governed by the MONTARA privacy notice available at
- Judicial bodies or supervising authorities – MONTARA will release personal data if required by law or on the basis of a court decision, to protect your interests, for investigations by law enforcement or regulatory authorities, to protect and defend the property and legal rights of MONTARA and to ensure the personal safety of users of the MONTARA services.
MONTARA will in general keep your personal data 39 months from your last contact with us, such as the date your account was deleted, your last purchase, the last time you used one of our apps, or in any other way of interaction or contact, unless a longer or shorter storage period is required by law, this is necessary in connection with legal processes, or is otherwise required for a particular purpose under the applicable legislation.
Below are examples to indicate how long MONTARA stores your personal data in relation to a specific purpose:
- Personal data obtained upon purchase is retained as required by tax legislation.
- If you request to delete your personal data, MONTARA will try to delete your personal data within a maximum of one month after the request date.
- Personal data relating to promotions will not be retained for more than one month after the end of the offer.
Data processing outside the EU and EEA
Unless otherwise stated, your personal data will be stored and processed within the European Union. Occasionally, your personal data may be processed outside the European Economic Area (‘EEA’) in a country that does not offer the same level of protection under European law as the country where you normally use your products and / or services. This may occur, for example, if a processor is located outside the EEA, or uses sub-processors from outside the EEA, such as suppliers of cloud solutions. MONTARA will take the necessary steps in such cases to ensure that your personal data are adequately protected, such as carrying out security assessments and drawing up processor agreements with recipients to ensure that they take the same or comparable technical and organizational measures as MONTARA, so that your data is adequately protected.
MONTARA does not, as data controller, process any personal data of children under the age of 16. If this happens unintentionally, steps will be taken to remove this data as quickly as possible, unless the law requires that this data must be retained. If it is known that a child is older than 16 years, but according to the law is considered as a minor, permission from the parent / guardian will be requested before the personal details of that child will be used.
MONTARA fully complies with the obligations laid down in the General Data Protection Regulation, with the principle of transparency as paramount. To this end, MONTARA has implemented means to ensure that you can exercise any rights in connection with the processing of your personal data.
Right of inspection, rectification, removal
If you use products or services or have created an account, you can view your personal data via these websites, if the functionality exists. If your personal data is not available by the relevant website, you can submit an application free of charge to gain access to this information.
Upon receipt of your request and details to verify your identity (such as a copy of your passport), you will be provided with a copy of the personal data held by us, the origin of the data, the purposes for which the personal data is used and the recipients. You can also indicate that certain changes in personal data, if you qualify them as incorrect or irrelevant, must be implemented. You can also have your personal data blocked, erased or completely deleted (right to be forgotten).
In some cases, we will ask you to “opt-in” or affirmatively consent to the processing of your personal data. For example, if you submit a service request by yourself via our website or if you have subscribed to our newsletters. If you do not want us to send you personalized offers or information, you can let us know by checking the appropriate box on the registration form or reply card, or by selecting “opt out” on emails you receive. You may also contact us in writing to object to a certain use of your personal data, to limit its use or to request that your personal data be provided in a usable electronic format or to transfer it to a third party (right to data portability). All these applications are met by MONTARA within the framework of the legal obligations.
Changes to this statement
MONTARA will regularly update this privacy statement in order to keep it easily findable, error free and up-to-date and to ensure that sufficient information is available about your rights and that MONTARA‘s way(s) of processing have been implemented in accordance with the law and continue to comply with it. If major changes are made to this privacy statement, you will be informed via the websites on which an updated version of the privacy statement is published. MONTARA wants to co-operate with you in a good way and always find a suitable solution for complaints or care about privacy. If you are of the opinion that we could not help you with your complaint or care, you have the right to file a complaint via the website of your supervising authority. MONTARA is vested in the Ireland and as such subject to the Irish Data Protection Commission.